Welcome to ICSMSU Careers, I’m James Palmer and I’m the Alumni & Careers Officer for 2017-18.
ICSMSU has many careers focused societies. “What do you want to specialise in?” is a question students are bombarded with on a daily basis, so it is important to make an informed decision. There are many events and activities out there that will allow you to explore the different specialities, follow your interests and start thinking about what type of Doctor you want to be. We also work in partnership with ICSM Careers, the School of Medicine run arm of Careers to put on events such as the annual ICSM Careers Fair.
For information about services and events provided by the Faculty of Medicine, have a look at the Careers section on Blackboard.
Current Careers Societies
As of August 2017 the following Careers societies are part of ICSM:
- Anaethestics & Intensive Care Society
- British Medical Association Society
- Dermatology Society
- General Practice Society
- Geriatrics and Elderly Medicine
- Heart Society (Cardiology)
- Immunology Society
- MedSin (Global Health)
- Neuroscience Society
- Obstetrics & Gynaecology Society
- Oncology Society
- Ophthalmology Society
- Paediatrics Society
- Pathology Society
- Pre-Hospital Emergency Medicine
- Psychiatry Society
- Society for International Medicine Careers
- Society of Research and Academia
- Sports and Exercise Medicine Society
- Surgical Society
Interested in Starting up a New Careers Societies?
You can start up a careers-orientated society as long as there is a sufficient need for one. Societies have to ensure they can maintain a stable membership basis and are consistently active throughout the WHOLE year in providing events and activities for its members.
- Gauge the need for the society and its long-term sustainability – interested students, interested doctors etc.
- Plan what events/activities you may wish to put on and how you are to help students get involve in your particular career choice.
- ENSURE your events are innovative and not already provided by other societies. e.g. Surgical Soc covers all surgical sub-specialities or Infectious Diseases is already covered by ImmunoSoc.
- Read all the information regarding starting a Society here.
- Submit your completed application form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Email me if you have any questions: email@example.com